I am known far and wide for my truly scrumptious vegan chocolate cake but I’m going to have to let a lot of you down. It is not my own recipe but the wonderful Rose Elliot’s (from Rose Elliot’s Vegetarian Cookery book). Here it is for everyone (and that’s a lot of you) who have ever asked me for it. I must add – it is probably the easiest cake ever to make!
Vegan Chocolate Sponge Cake
Makes one 20-22cm/8-8.5inch round cake
300g self raising flour
50g cocoa powder (I use Green & Blacks as it is vegan)
3 teaspoons baking powder
250g caster sugar
9 tablespoons sunflower oil
vegan margarine or sunflower oil for greasing baking tins – I use 2 tins to make two halves of the cake but you can fill one tin then cut the cake in half when it has completely cooled so you can add a filling. Alternatively make two cakes and add butter icing or plain icing to the tops.
Chocolate buttercream (vegan margarine & icing sugar & cocoa) or plain icing.
1. Preheat the oven to 170c or 325f or gas mark 3. (Green Tip: I never do this as it is not necessary and you can save fuel & expense by never pre-heating your oven!)
2. Grease two 20cm cake tins and line the base of each with a circle of greaseproof paper.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, oil and water & mix well to a batter like consistency. (Not so Green Tip! I use an electric whisk as it makes it a much lighter cake, you can whisk by hand of course).
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for about 30-40 mins until the cakes spring back to a light touch in the centre (I test with a skewer in the centre, if it comes out dry without any uncooked cake mixture on it then they should be done).
5. Once cooled – turn out the cakes or cook on a wire rack.
6. Sandwich together with a jam filling (yuk) or chocolate buttercream (my favourite). I like to ice the tops too and add vegan chocolate buttons or glace cherries (I love glace cherries!)
Hey presto – delicious vegan chocolate cake for everyone to enjoy!
You can also adapt this recipe to other flavours, make a plain cake without the cocoa (add a bit of vanilla essence). Try lemon or orange essence for a fruity flavour, I like orange & almond cake. Yum !