We held our first fundraiser last night for the East Devon Green Party. We had a curry night with about 25 people attending and some absolutely delicious food made by our core members. Here’s the recipe for my bombay potatoes:
These simple spiced potatoes are one of the most popular Indian side dishes. Serve as part of any Indian meal, although they are particularly good with vegetarian or vegan curries.
4 tbsp oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cumin
3 pinches fenugreek
3 pinches ginger
2 (or more if you like it hot) pinches of chilli powder
350g/12oz potatoes, boiled and quartered
fresh coriander chopped finely
2 tablespoons line juice
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat setting.
2. To check that the oil is hot enough, sprinkle in a few mustard seeds, if they pop the oil is ready. Then add the remainder of the mustard seeds.
3. Add all the spices to the sizzling seeds, and salt to taste.
4. Fry this pungent mixture of oil and spices for 1 minute then add the potatoes. Fry for about 6 minutes until the potatoes are smothered in seeds and appear to have crispy edges. They will look quite yellow in colour.
5. Add coriander and lime juice and mix in – then serve.